How to use Social Media to Market your Business
Social Media…everyone’s talking about it, all the kids are using it, but is it really going to help you increase business?
The short answer is a resounding YES! The hard part is learning how you can make social media networking work for you and your business.
Here are some tips and tricks for using social media to market your business.
What is Social Media?
First, a few words about what Social Media actually is. Basically, a website that is classed “social media” is any site that has been built for the primary purpose of allowing people a way to communicate and interact with each other.
One of the most well known and popular social media channels in New Zealand is Facebook. But that’s not all, here are a few of the major social media websites you may or may not have heard of:
- Facebook – Built for both people and businesses to interact with each other.
- Google+ – This was Google’s version of Facebook. They have since stopped allowing new Google+ accounts, but existing Google+ accounts are still fully utilisable and active.
- LinkedIn – This is the most popular social media site for professional networking.
- YouTube – This is the largest and most popular video-sharing social media website.
- Twitter – Perhaps not so popular in New Zealand, this social media site offers a way for people to talk to their followers.
- Instagram – Built for publishing and sharing photos.
- Pinterest – Share recipes, home ideas, photos and anything else in a visual way.
- Tumblr – Write blogs.
- Flickr – Share images and videos.
There are lots of others as well, like Snapchat, Reddit, Quora etc. But those are the most popular, trending social media sites today.
Is Social Media Just a Trend?
No, social media is not going anywhere. In fact, in 2018 Facebook has over 18 million users! Social media is not going to die out, in fact, its really only just getting started.
So How Do I Use Social Media for My Business?
The best thing to do is decide which social media channel you are going to learn and start building your client base on first. We suggest you start with Facebook (don’t cringe!) because that’s where the highest number of your customers are waiting.
How to Setup and Market a Facebook Business Page
The first thing you need to do, is create a personal account with Facebook. It doesn’t need to have all your personal information, with photos from your childhood through to your adulthood, all it needs is your date of birth, name and email address. Then, once you have an account, you can create a business page for your business. Read Facebook’s help information for setting up a business page. It’s pretty easy, just follow the prompts to fill out all the information that’s relevant to your business. Add photos, write your Story, add your contact details, link to your website.
That’s the easy part. The hard part is building a strong customer base and relationship with social media users. What our clients always say is “what do we post about?” Try and approach your posting from a more personal level. What do your customers want to know? What is useful to them? How can you interact with them?
Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Let customers know about special offers, deals and competitions.
- Let customers know about new products and services you now offer.
- Like other pages as your business page, and share relevant posts from them.
- Add photos about your business. These can be as simple as a beautiful day at your B&B or a new product that’s just come into your store.
- Generate conversation by asking your customers questions, or asking for feedback.
- Ask your customers to write reviews, or to Like your page.
- Write quality posts on your website about your business or services, and share them on your page.
- Run Facebook Ad campaigns to build your customer base more quickly.
- Link to products and services on your website.
- Let them know about events and shows that are relevant to them.
- Be active yourself! Get out there and like other peoples pages and posts as your business. Comment on their posts.
Once your page is all up and running, make sure you add it to your website, email signature and other advertising so your customers know they can find you there. You can’t just tack it on, it needs to become a fully integrated part of your business branding. Post regularly and gauge what people are most interested in.
A handy tip to keep in mind is that blue posts get a better response that other colours, so see how you can work that into your posts. Trial other colours and images, and track which posts get the best response rate. Try and keep your posting to the same time every day, so your followers know to keep an eye out for your posts. If you’re not getting a lot of response, change it up. Try posting earlier or later in the day, until you find that winning formula.
Another interesting note is that having an active social media base will also help your website rank better in search engines. Google sees these active accounts and links from them to your website, and adds it into their giant complex algorithm in a positive light.
So if your business isn’t on social media, its time it is!
If you need help getting started, or would like us to manage your social media marketing, just give us a call on 0800 999 549. We’re here to help!